[LMB] Tea Party

Agnes Charrel-Berthillier agnes at charrel.net
Tue Sep 14 00:27:51 BST 2021

On 9/12/21 20:32, Margaret Dean wrote:

> Yes, and the Zoom image that I see of myself is obviously a mirror image,
> because when I do something like wave my right hand, my action is mirrored
> on screen; i.e. if it were an actual person facing me, they would be waving
> their left hand. I am not sure why it works that way.

Because people are used to seeing themselves in mirrors, and find
watching their face the way other people see it subtly disturbing. Which
is why professional photography software have a mirror setting for
proofs, why (some) phones flip selfies, and why, by default,
conferencing software mirrors your video stream (and only yours).

Having done quite a bit exercise classes through Zoom/Google Meet during
the height of COVID confinement... it can get confusing ("wait, which
right/left is this supposed to be?!?). But people manage to confuse
themselves during live classes too, between the instructor, people
around them and the mirror, and I have seen instructors provide
instruction mirrored to help those of us who struggle with spacial
awareness.

Agnes