[LMB] OT: Terry Pratchett

Eric Oppen ravenclaweric at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 07:30:38 BST 2021

My great-grandmother left Scotland, on her own, at age fifteen, to get away
from her hometown, which was run by the Wee Frees.  I've commented that
from what my mother told me (Great-Grandma was dead long before I was born,
but Mom knew and feared her well) the Wee Frees are "sort of a tartan
Taliban, but without the nonstop boffo laughs."

>From what Mom told me, life in that village made Puritan-era Massachusetts
look like modern Amsterdam, or Patpong Road in Bangkok.

(How Great-Grandma got across to America, all on her own, at age fifteen,
was one thing Mom did not tell me.  I have Dark Suspicions, but no shred of
proof.)