[LMB] Tea Party

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Tue Sep 14 15:48:35 BST 2021

On Tue, 14 Sep 2021 02:16:46 -0500, Raymond Collins <rcrcoll6 at gmail.com>
wrote:

>Interesting. I've got to play around with my Zoom app it gets irksome to
>use once in a while.

The oddest thing about such conferencing apps, and Zoom is no exception,
is that it removes visual clues about attention.

Because everyone is (when not fidgeting with their phones or sipping
tea, etc) is looking into their own cameras, there is an illusion that
everyone is looking at you - it feels like a panel interview.

Which of course adds to the appearance paranoia.

If you were actually all physically present, you could see (whether you
realised or not) where people's attention is going, and you get to relax
when it's not on you.

The sort of holographic conferencing portrayed in books and the odd film
would be significantly better in this regard.

And look less like the opening of the Muppet Show. :)
--
"The future is here already.  It's just unevenly distributed."  - William Gibson