[LMB] OT: The Bayeu Tapestry

Elizabeth Holden alzurite at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 19:41:38 BST 2021

Marc said that the Bayeux Tapestry:

> ... isn't from Bayeux and isn't a tapestry ...

Not a tapestry, no, but it has always been called that. (Except by a friend
of mine, who, knowing my passion for it, calls it the Rug of Lisette.)

But as for its origins - do you know something I don't? It has been in
Bayeux as long as history has been able to track it, and it is believed to
have been created for the Bishop of Bayeux.  Whether it was stitched by men
or women, clerics or laypersons, the French or the English, isn't clear.
But it *could* have been stitched in Bayeux. Nobody knows.

namaste,
Elizabeth