[LMB] Discworld, Barrayar, and Jean's story

Elizabeth Holden alzurite at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 01:37:19 BST 2021

Jean Lamb said:

> Terry Pratchett suffered (and eventually died of) early onset Alzheimer's;
> he kept trying to write to the end. ...hence my fanfic "Erasure" where
> Vimes is called upon as Blackboard Monitor.
>
> https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11209605/1/Erasure

Oh my goodness, Jean, that was beautiful. Wonderful story. You understand
the characters so well. But I love the Pratchett/Vetinari parallel - the
wise and wonderful men pulling strings and making everything work
brilliantly, until their brains betrayed them.

Do you think Pratchett identified with Vetinari? ....Perhaps no more than
all the other characters. Still.

This made me think of the rule and death of Evar Vorbarra. I can see a
parallel there with Vetinari.

And again, with SImon Illyan in "Memory". But thankfully SImon survived.

namaste,
Elizabeth