[LMB] OT: Terry Pratchett

tidsel egern at protonmail.com
Wed Sep 15 10:35:22 BST 2021

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐

On Tuesday, September 14th, 2021 at 11:07 PM, brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:

> > On Sep 14, 2021, at 1:19 PM, Robert Woodward Robert_A_Woodward at comcast.net wrote:
> >
> > t is a VERY common misspelling (by Americans) in emails and elsewhere in the internet. I find it very annoying as well.
>
> My most annoying wrong word is “then” meaning “than”.
>
> I also dislike “tons of” and “massive” when they shouldn’t apply. And reading about space ships landing on that planet’s tarmac.
>
> And “begs the question”.
>
> Wrong words bother me more than misspellings, as I have to back track.

Things annoy me too about how other people express themselves - here I am mostly talking FB. To me it is mostly expressions that make the meaning unclear.

But when it comes to it, there is no right or wrong. As I was taught, and agree in, a language is a living thing and it will keep changing, like it or not.
No one owns it. Grammar is strictly speaking not actually rules, but a description of how a language is used - now.