[LMB] OT: Terry Pratchett

Peter Hews Peterhews at protonmail.com
Wed Sep 15 12:46:23 BST 2021

On Tuesday, September 14th, 2021 at 23:07, brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:

> My most annoying wrong word is “then” meaning “than”.
>
> I also dislike “tons of” and “massive” when they shouldn’t apply.

One of my pet hates is "literally" used, well, not literally.

> And “begs the question”.

I greatly fear this one is a lost cause.

I hate it when a useful word or phrase is destroyed by casual misuse.  I'm glad we have a word for homosexuality that's neither rude nor clinical, but it's a shame that it's almost impossible to use "gay" in its dictionary meaning.  I'm glad the idea of gender neutral pronous is becoming mainstream, but it's a disaster for the language that they've fallen back on the clumsy bureacratic useage of the singular "they," when there were a couple of perfectly good neologisms already widely used.  (I prefer "sie" and "hir," because they're understandable by anyone, and because, like the Cold Duke of Coffin Castle, I have an aversion to words that start with X.)

Peter Hews