[LMB] OT: Terry Pratchett

WILLIAM A WENRICH wawenri at msn.com
Wed Sep 15 14:21:50 BST 2021

I don’t mind ordanic changes in English, the only language that I know well enough to complain about. I’m only slightly bothered by euphemisms. I am bothered by people who change language to make a political point or to say, “This historical figures really meant to say X because the word really means Y.”
And then the change gets into the dictionaries and whole subjects are now falsified.
Two examples are racism and Fascism. Racism used to mean discrimination based on race. Now it has to do with (to me) I’ll defined power structures and there’s no word to describe racially based discrimination. In fact, some pundits call racially based discrimination against some groups anti racism.
Fascism was coined in Italy from an Italian word meaning “a bundle of sticks”. It wasn’t right wing unless compared to Communism. Both Fascism and Communism are collectivist totalitarian systems. The state or the workers as a whole are important not individuals.
Now the dictionary defines Fascism as right wing and conservatives and libertarians are called fascists.
 If you control the language and can make words mean anything you want, you will win every argument and never be caught in a lie.

William A Wenrich

  *    A sinner, utterly dependent on God’s grace.

tidsel
Things annoy me too about how other people express themselves - here I am mostly talking FB. To me it is mostly expressions that make the meaning unclear.

But when it comes to it, there is no right or wrong. As I was taught, and agree in, a language is a living thing and it will keep changing, like it or not.
No one owns it. Grammar is strictly speaking not actually rules, but a description of how a language is used - now.