[LMB] OT: People Changing Political Words

Louann Miller domelouann at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 14:46:27 BST 2021

On Wed, Sep 15, 2021 at 8:22 AM WILLIAM A WENRICH <wawenri at msn.com> wrote:

> Fascism was coined in Italy from an Italian word meaning “a bundle of
> sticks”. It wasn’t right wing unless compared to Communism. Both Fascism
> and Communism are collectivist totalitarian systems. The state or the
> workers as a whole are important not individuals.
> Now the dictionary defines Fascism as right wing and conservatives and
> libertarians are called fascists.

Are you trying to pick a fight, AGAIN, in the teeth of the widely agreed on
no politics rule? I'm going to address your substance and leave the jumping
up and down on your head to Matja. (This does not make me hugely happy with
either of you, but you always seem to be the one starting it.)

Speaking in general terms only, one big reason political terms change is
that people's politics change, and that political systems also vary from
country to country. Your example with the word fascisim is accurate as far
as it goes, but ignores the massive changes in the term between Mussolini
repurposing it as one of his allusions to ancient Rome and Hitler taking
over the word with massive worldwide consequences. I know we're both too
young to remember, but there was a lot of documentation.
For a different example, there's the oft-noted fact that Eisenhower would
be drummed out of the Republican party today as a RINO, witness the 1956
Republican platform. (Generally true but the meme misses nuances; here's an
all around discussion.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/1956-republican-platform/ )