[LMB] OT: Terry Pratchett

Joel Polowin jpolowin at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 15 16:48:27 BST 2021

tidsel <egern at protonmail.com> wrote:
> But when it comes to it, there is no right or wrong. As I was taught,
> and agree in, a language is a living thing and it will keep changing,
> like it or not.  No one owns it. Grammar is strictly speaking not
> actually rules, but a description of how a language is used - now.

I believe that there *is* a "wrong".  It's wrong when language (mis)use
impairs communication rather than facilitating it.

Correct use of punctuation makes sentence meaning clear.  Incorrect
punctuation obscures it.  If someone uses an incorrect homonym
(e.g. "lose" vs. "loose"), my reading hiccups as my brain has to
re-parse the sentence to swap in the other verb and its meaning.

Joel