[LMB] OT: Language changes

baur baur baur at chello.at
Wed Sep 15 17:02:31 BST 2021

> Elizabeth Holden <alzurite at gmail.com> hat am 15.09.2021 15:43 geschrieben:
>

> William complained about words changing with time. It was ever so. Language
> is a field in motion and it won't stay still to remain the way it was when
> we first learned it. Not ever. This is why young people talk slightly
> differently from old people. This is why Shakespeare sounds old-fashioned
> (but in a good way, oh that we were all so eloquent), and why Chaucer is
> difficult, and Anglo-Saxon is a whole other language.
>
> In Canada, as far as I know, racism is still racism. And still with us,
> more's the pity.
>
> > If you control the language and can make words mean anything you want,
> you will win every
> > argument
>
> Thing is, nobody controls the language. If anyone could, it might be more
> biddable.

the ability to censor certain public uses of language (i am looking at you, facetubetwitter) gives you a very good paractical of public language

> As for fascism - I'm not convinced the meaning has changed, but this
> reminds me of a word I've forgotten.

the meaning in public usage has changed (we are not discussing here the strict meaning in science use) .. as has, for example the menaing of the term nazi - the use of both terms have been broadend to the point of them becoming menaigless

servus

markus