[LMB] OT: People Changing Political Words

David Bowen dmb0317 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 18:09:05 BST 2021

On Wed, Sep 15, 2021 at 9:26 AM Harvey Fishman <fishman at panix.com> wrote:

> . Next, Eisenhower was not a
> Republican. He could have run for the Presidency under either party,
> they both wanted him. But he chose the Republicans. But remember that
> the Republicans were then the liberals. This was the party of Abraham
> Lincoln.
>
> Harvey

Only partly true. Compared to the Democratic party of FDR the Republicans
were clearly the conservatives. Compared to the Democratic party of Strom
Thurmond the Republicans were the liberals It's also worth noting that the
Republican party of Lincoln was a mixed bag. It supported the development
of transcontinental railroads with land grants to the builders and also the
founding of the land grant agricultural colleges to help the small farmers,
I guess both of these are consistent with the classical meaning of liberal,
but the meaning of liberal has also shifted over the years.

David Bowen