[LMB] OT: Terry Pratchett

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Thu Sep 16 01:24:06 BST 2021

On Wed, 15 Sep 2021 14:24:58 -0700, Robert Woodward
<Robert_A_Woodward at comcast.net> wrote:

>>> Most "Tarmac" isn't, anyway.  A lot of it is asphalt or bitmec.  Or even
>>> concrete, increasingly.
>>>
>>> Why yes!  I do have a friend who is a civil engineer.  And yes, it is
>>> one of his hot buttons.
>>
>> I’d use it for asphalt as that is as close as we get in the U.S.
>>
>> I never heard of the word until Idi Amin had all of those hostages on an airport’s “tarmac”.   BBC did the reporting, USAmericans made assumptions about what the word meant.
>
>Wasn’t the assumed meaning to be the pavement on the airplane side of the terminal? I always thought that to be the “apron.”

Yes - and here at least, they've not been made of tarmac for decades, at
least on major airports.  They're all reinforced concrete.

And most "tarmac" on roads isn't strictly tarmac any more, more likely
bitmec (made with bitumen rather than tar).

To add to the confusion, Tarmac[tm] is a brand, who make all manner of
road surfacings.  Tarmac Topblock, one of their divisions, used to be a
customer of mine.
--
Religion began when the first scoundrel met the first fool.  - Voltaire