[LMB] OT: Language changes

B Van Look vanlook19 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 02:26:41 BST 2021

On Wed, Sep 15, 2021 at 2:40 PM Louann Miller <domelouann at gmail.com> wrote:

> You are not wrong. The examples that come to mind for me: "idiot," "moron,"
> and "cretin" used to be medical terms which were pretty specific about the
> amount of mental impairment the patient had. Now when they're used at all,

One of the changes I find fascinating was the mutation of "nice"
"Nice" went from "ignorant/daft" to "decadent/luxurious (especially in
clothing or food)" to "delicate/particular"
It's currently landed on "agreeable, well-mannered" but it's already
shifting.
On social media, an exclamation of "NICE" to a post is
"celebration/satisfaction"

BJ