[LMB] OT: Language changes

Matija Grabnar lmb at matija.com
Thu Sep 16 08:10:09 BST 2021

On 16/09/2021 03:00, brazee wrote:
>> On Sep 15, 2021, at 7:26 PM, B Van Look <vanlook19 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> One of the changes I find fascinating was the mutation of "nice"
>> "Nice" went from "ignorant/daft" to "decadent/luxurious (especially in
>> clothing or food)" to "delicate/particular"
>> It's currently landed on "agreeable, well-mannered" but it's already
>> shifting.
>> On social media, an exclamation of "NICE" to a post is
>> "celebration/satisfaction”
>>

>> Yes.   “Girl” didn’t use to be gendered.

Hah! I remember a friend of mine wrote (for his master's thesis) a
program in Prolog that could determine, for any word in Slovenian, which
gender it was. 30 minutes before he was supposed to defend his thesis,
someone told him to test it with "Dekle" (girl in Slovenian). It came
out neutral. Cue the guy going into a full scale panic, trying to find
the bug in his code before realizing that yes, it is neutral (In
official Slovenian. There is at least one dialect where it is female,
but you wouldn't use that in anything resembling official communication
or professional environment). Compared to that, his thesis defense
passed uneventfully.

In German it is also "Das Mädchen" as in neutral sex, not "Die Mädchen"
which would indicate female.