[LMB] Quark was right

WILLIAM A WENRICH wawenri at msn.com
Thu Sep 16 19:20:18 BST 2021

I’ll make a Bujold connection later.
In DS9 “The Siege of AR- 556”, Quark explains to Nog that when Humans aren’t under stress they are nice friendly people. Under stress, they are more bloodthirsty than Klingons.
Niven said the same thing about Humans and the Kzin even having a man who, after his family was killed, training to be able to fight Kzin bare handed.
Then there was Miles speech in Borders of Infinity how the Vor who wanted death in battle, got it and the ones who were left, just would not quit. TVT calls them determinators and Miles is a prime example.
There’s a story I read, I thought it was a Hugo winner but I haven’t been able find it. It starts out with an alien reading “Three Billy Goats Gruff” and wondering why the children liked it so much since it was an elementary tactical exercise. Later he sees a preschool teacher with a class full of conquered aliens. The teacher is very kind and supportive and he can’t understand how the same species can act that way and also mow down the enemy by the hundreds in an ambush.
The Lakewalkers all seem to be determinators.
I think Thur and Fiamentta also qualify.
All part of being human.

William A Wenrich

  *    A sinner, utterly dependent on God’s grace.