[LMB] OT: ADHD

Karen A. Wyle kawyle at att.net
Sat Sep 18 13:49:00 BST 2021

 What an inspiring and moving story. Congratulations to you and to Arthur.
Karen A. Wyle
    On Saturday, September 18, 2021, 12:59:07 AM EDT, A. Marina Fournier via Lois-Bujold <lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk> wrote:
[snip]
When he was about 3 1/2, a young autist started at the pre-school/daycare. Arthur dragged/drafted him into his play stories. He was also getting early coping-skill therapy. Gradually the young boy became more open to imaginary play, and a bit more outgoing. As he was leaving the place for pre-K, his mother thanked me for helping her son. I told her to thank Arthur, because that was all his doing, and not necessarily consciously. He just wanted a playmate.

These days we can easily spot the neurodiverse and adapt to their communication/social interaction  style or level. It’s not a problem to be solved, but courtesy and an acknowledgment of the person.

As a member of the Religious Education staff at a local UU fellowship, he sees all sorts of younger kids. Sometimes there’s discussion with the parents of challenges or concerns, but he’s comfortable with the differences of needs. Parents, staff, and students love him.

A. Marina Fournier