[LMB] OT: Terry Pratchett

Matthew George matt.msg at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 04:09:52 BST 2021

I suspect many of the features of his later books that fans have pointed
out as evidence of cognitive decline are more indicative of the difficulty
of reviewing and polishing text while effectively blind.

Compare him to Bram Stoker - no one is sure exactly what was wrong with
him, with speculations ranging from syphilis to a minor but
debilitating.stroke.  But Stoker's later works, like *The Lair of the White
Worm*, are awful, while *Dracula* is a masterpiece.

I own copies of the last few things Pratchett wrote, and they strike me
more as first drafts than anything else.

Matt G.