[LMB] The Spirit Ring - Fiametta and Fawn

Matthew George matt.msg at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 06:39:53 BST 2021

There aren't any truly large cities in the Wide Green World - the closest
is a small town by our standards - no universities, no libraries, few
books.  What exists for Fawn to want, if she isn't satisfied with what is
available to her?  Her world is recovering from an ongoing disaster.
Someday civilization will develop enough for there to be opportunities for
everyone.  But there aren't many roles available, even fewer for women.

And of course there's the opportunity cost for choosing one thing over
another.  Marie Curie was determined to become a physicist, even though
that wasn't truly possible in her native Poland.  So she moved to a new
country, met a man willing to permit her to develop, and became one of the
great physicists.

It ultimately killed her.  And even if her husband Pierre hadn't died in an
accident, I suspect she would have had no children, even if she decided she
wanted them.  All that work with toxic, radioactive substances... But, she
made her choices.

Fawn doesn't have such choices available.  She couldn't even imagine many
of them, as no society she's ever heard of exists to make them possible.

Matt G.