[LMB] OT: Terry Pratchett

Matija Grabnar lmb at matija.com
Sun Sep 19 09:03:35 BST 2021

On 19/09/2021 02:17, Sylvia McIvers wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 18, 2021 at 9:20 AM tidsel via Lois-Bujold <
>
>> On Wednesday, September 15th, 2021 at 3:21 PM, WILLIAM A WENRICH <
>> wawenri at msn.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Two examples are racism and Fascism. Racism used to mean discrimination
>> based on race. Now it has to do with (to me) I’ll defined power structures
>> and there’s no word to describe racially based discrimination.
>>
>> I have not actually seen it used as such..?
>>
>> Two of the examples I've seen:  Two generations ago, there was a
> gentlemen's agreement that only white people could buy homes in certain
> areas. Not surprisingly, white neighborhoods increased in value, black
> neighborhoods decreased.

Funny you should use that phrase.

"A gentleman's agreement" was a book by Hobson in the late 40s (after
WW2), about a journalist who pretended for a year to be Jewish, and
found himself frozen out of housing, hotels, jobs and other
opportunities.
(https://www.amazon.com/Gentlemens-Agreement-Laura-Hobson/dp/B004KJAZJI/ref=sr_1_1)

It was made into a movie with Gregory Peck (a big star) in 1947, and won
three Oscars. (https://imdb.com/title/tt0039416/)

It made excluding Jews uncool, but the practice continued against black
people and Asians (my martial arts teacher, a second generation American
once mentioned how furious he was when he was about 14 and his family's
rental agreement, arranged by letter, was suddenly invalidated when they
showed up - this must have been sometime in the sixties).

There was a more recent movie, The Banker
(https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6285944/) which shows how it worked
against the black people.