[LMB] OT: Terry Pratchett

tidsel egern at protonmail.com
Sun Sep 19 12:59:22 BST 2021

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐

On Wednesday, September 15th, 2021 at 5:48 PM, Joel Polowin <jpolowin at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I believe that there is a "wrong". It's wrong when language (mis)use
>
> impairs communication rather than facilitating it.

Problem is, as language change, you end up in a grey zone sometimes where the new ways cause misunderstandings, but later are officially accepted as what we do.
The person who told me  about grammar being a way to describe the language, rather than 'correct' language, was a language professor btw, so I sincerely hope he knew what he was
talking about.

> Correct use of punctuation makes sentence meaning clear. Incorrect
>
> punctuation obscures it.

Yes, and no. Some punctuation can make hilarious or even creepy meanings.
But I myself find, that purely grammatical commas make stops that irritate the flow.

 If someone uses an incorrect homonym

> (e.g. "lose" vs. "loose"), my reading hiccups as my brain has to
>
> re-parse the sentence to swap in the other verb and its meaning.
>
> Joel

There I agree, and as said, it is a hiccup in my brain that won't let me see this mistake -which I know is a mistake - plus eye sight failing a bit. I *am* trying.
You, on your side, might try not to let it get to you so much if it should happen again.