[LMB] OT: Terry Pratchett

Elizabeth Holden alzurite at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 13:45:30 BST 2021

Matthew said:

> I suspect many of the features of his later books that fans have pointed
> out as evidence of cognitive decline are more indicative of the difficulty
> of reviewing and polishing text while effectively blind.

My understanding is that he had a form of Alzheimer's that was less about
cognitive decline and more about neurological decline and motor function.
Not fun, whatever. But it meant he could still write and dictate.

> I own copies of the last few things Pratchett wrote, and they strike me
> more as first drafts than anything else.

Yes, I agree. I think he was working against time, and didn't have time for
his regular polish. whether he could have achieved that, given just a
little more time... well, we'll never know.

He didn't lose his great ideas, but his cutting edge was dimmed a little.

Sad for us readers, in any case.

This thread has made me want to go and reread any number of Pratchett
books.

namaste,
Elizabeth

Virus-free.