[LMB] Salic law vs agnatic succession on Barrayar

alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
Mon Sep 20 05:15:06 BST 2021

So, we've heard all through the Vor series that inheritance obeys the
Salic law:

https://vorkosigan.fandom.com/wiki/Salic_descent

But I happened to be looking up the Norwegian royal family tonight (we're
watching & enjoying the recent mini-series Atlantic Crossing) and saw this
Wikipedia article on Patrilineality.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrilineality#Agnatic_succession

And now I'm wondering if what Barrayar really has is

- agnatic succession, which gives priority to or restricts inheritance of
a throne or fief to heirs, male or female, descended from the original
title holder through males only.

or

- Salic law, generally understood in modern times to mean exclusion of
women as hereditary monarchs.

Agnatic does seem more like What Aral Vorkosigan preferred...

Alayne

--
Alayne McGregor
alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca