[LMB] Salic law vs agnatic succession on Barrayar

tidsel egern at protonmail.com
Mon Sep 20 10:45:48 BST 2021

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐

On Monday, September 20th, 2021 at 6:15 AM, <alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca> wrote:

> And now I'm wondering if what Barrayar really has is
>
> -   agnatic succession, which gives priority to or restricts inheritance of
>
>     a throne or fief to heirs, male or female, descended from the original
>
>     title holder through males only.
>
>     or
> -   Salic law, generally understood in modern times to mean exclusion of
>
>     women as hereditary monarchs.

I never quite understood that myself..as I recall, they mention Salic law directly, but elsewhere (cannot remember where and do not at the moment have access to the books)
it sounds more flexible. You'd think a society where you are 'barred by your sex to take oath' (what do they do in courts?) they would never have a female ruler. And no countesses.

I am reminded of the aforementioned Elizabethan times, where a king/queen could appoint a heir to the throne? (Not that there would not be a dog fight over that anyway.)
But suddenly there were 3 in a row!