[LMB] Salic law vs agnatic succession on Barrayar

Tony Zbaraschuk tzbarasc at lasierra.edu
Mon Sep 20 14:52:35 BST 2021

On Sun, Sep 19, 2021 at 11:15 PM <alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca> wrote:

> So, we've heard all through the Vor series that inheritance obeys the
> Salic law:
>
> https://vorkosigan.fandom.com/wiki/Salic_descent
>
> But I happened to be looking up the Norwegian royal family tonight (we're
> watching & enjoying the recent mini-series Atlantic Crossing) and saw this
> Wikipedia article on Patrilineality.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrilineality#Agnatic_succession
>
> And now I'm wondering if what Barrayar really has is
>
> - agnatic succession, which gives priority to or restricts inheritance of
> a throne or fief to heirs, male or female, descended from the original
> title holder through males only.
>
> or
>
> - Salic law, generally understood in modern times to mean exclusion of
> women as hereditary monarchs.
>
> Agnatic does seem more like what Aral Vorkosigan preferred...

Remember that there are (at least) six major theories of how Imperial
inheritance works on Barrayar.  I get the feeling that Aral Vorkosigan is
strongly in favor of whichever of them do NOT leave him sitting on the
Imperial camp-stool.

I had always understood Salic law to be the same as agnatic inheritance
(males through the male line only); it's interesting to learn that there
are some differences.

Tony Zbaraschuk

Tony Zbaraschuk
Bookworm, talker, learner