[LMB] OT: Terry Pratchett

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Tue Sep 21 20:45:35 BST 2021

On Sun, 19 Sep 2021 18:26:20 +0100, Matija Grabnar via Lois-Bujold
<lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk> wrote:

>Quite possibly that was part of the reason. But you must realize that
>creative work can be addictive, too.
>
>Writing, painting, composing, even programming. For some people they are
>the daily grind that they have to do to earn money to survive so they
>can do other stuff. For other people it is just something they need to
>do, and they would do it even if nobody paid them a penny.

And of course, you can toggle between those states, depending on
circumstances.

I hate doing dull stuff. But then, sometimes, in the middle of it, I can
lock onto an interesting problem - and then my ADD superpower of
hyperfocus can switch on, and I can bash away at it and ignore all
distractions, to the point where I can "come to" and realise I'm badly
dehydrated.
--
Software and cathedrals are much the same –
first we build them, then we pray. - Sam Redwine