[LMB] Fwd: OT: Language changes

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Tue Sep 21 21:09:41 BST 2021

On Sun, 19 Sep 2021 16:14:14 -0700, B Van Look <vanlook19 at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> > meaning of the term nazi - > the use of both terms have
>> >
>> > So you have said, and repeated, but I see no reflection of this in real
>> > life. Nazi means what it always did.
>

>from the SCA, I offer "Authenticity Nazi" -- which was common parlance for
>a rudesby who prized historical authenticity over everything else, even
>kindness
>from common US culture, I offer "Soup Nazi" from Seinfeld
>
>Before turn of the millennia, the word Nazi *had* been cast around more
>than its original meaning.

The common factor is "humourless authoritarian", I suggest.  Which takes
a very small part of the perceived Nazi persona and riffs on it.

>It's tightening back up, though.

It was safe to use it as a term of mild abuse, when we mistakenly
thought they'd gone.

--
There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing
        and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games." -  Hemingway