[LMB] OT: Sources

WILLIAM A WENRICH wawenri at msn.com
Wed Sep 22 20:14:26 BST 2021

Don't get this wrong from the beginning. I am not talking about conspiracy theories or erroneous history texts. I'm talking about the things we encounter in daily life that give us new information or can lead us to do research.
For example, I recently streamed the movie "Hugo" and got a lot of information. No I don't think that there was an orphan boy living in a Paris train station maintaining the clock but one of the characters was Georges Melies (Sorry I don't know how to properly enter the accent marks.) and I knew very little about him. I only knew about his film "Trip to the Moon". Even more than an early film maker he was a stage illusionist who invented and/or popularized many of the first special effects. Without the movie I wouldn't have looked him up from other sources. One thing I learned, straight from the movie was that in filming, when the film was hand cranked, they used a metronome to keep the film speed smooth.
Another example is the things you can learn from simple YouTube videos if you can keep your selection positive. I've been watching, "How to ADHD" have learned some things that I found surprising but make sense. First, there is no difference between ADD and ADHD. Different people have challenges in different areas and not all are hyperactive. Hazel is ADHD. Brian is ADD. Although I'm too old to have been diagnosed as a child, I expect that I'm ADD as well. I'm certainly easily distracted and I am prone to hyper focusing. One thing I saw recently was about the calming bottle or glitter bottle to help come out of a meltdown. I was told to count to ten (or 100) in as many languages as I could. This might work better, I need to check with Hazel's parents to see if it has been tried.
>From one of the historical videos I learned that the Poles were not the complete pushovers to the Germans in WWII that a lot of textbooks would lead us to believe. They destroyed about 25% of the tanks the Germans deployed against them.
You can learn thing anywhere. Just check them for reasonableness and get multiple sources of information.

William A Wenrich
God bless you.