[LMB] OT: Language changes

Matija Grabnar lmb at matija.com
Wed Sep 22 20:34:00 BST 2021

On 20/09/2021 21:51, Matthew George wrote:
> It's worth noting that publicly being opposed to the Nazis in Germany was a
> good way to get killed.  Nevertheless, many ordinary citizens supported the
> Nazis, feeling that they were a necessary antidote to the humiliation
> Germany had experienced after WWI, and even people who realized what was
> going on in the death camps found ways to avoid acknowledging it.  Basic
> human nature, I'm afraid.  This has all happened before...
>
> Matt "and it will all happen again" G.

And despite it being a good way to get killed, and despite social
pressure from supporters of the Nazis around them, there were still
people who not only saw that it was wrong, but did something about it.
Even at the peril of their own lives. That, too, is human nature. That,
too, will happen again.

And it is important to remember what both sides did, and decide which is
the one you would have wanted to support, and why.

And of course, these days anti-vaxers portray themselves as the
equivalent of the people who resisted Nazis. That, too, is human nature.

So, be the best person you can be, and don't use other people's "human
nature" as an excuse.