[LMB] OT: Sources

Pat Mathews mathews55 at msn.com
Wed Sep 22 22:32:03 BST 2021

An excellent post, Mr. Wenrich! Bravo!

I was at a Medieval Studies lecture many years ago, down at UNM, and, no, nobody in the Middle Ages who was literate - in English! - believed that the world was flat. That was an invention of the 19th Century, which apparently wanted to present the period as one of unrelieved darkness and squalor. I gave a copy of the lecturer's book on the subject to my engineer friend Duke McMullen for his birthday, to his delight.

And a casual inquiry a few minutes ago about the medieval beliefs about the shape of the earth brought up this scholarly page at first go:

https://blogs.bl.uk/digitisedmanuscripts/2018/05/the-earth-is-in-fact-round.html

[https://sarahjbiggs.typepad.com/.a/6a013488b5399e970c0223c849068a200c-pi]<https://blogs.bl.uk/digitisedmanuscripts/2018/05/the-earth-is-in-fact-round.html>
‘The Earth is, in fact, round’ - Medieval manuscripts blog<https://blogs.bl.uk/digitisedmanuscripts/2018/05/the-earth-is-in-fact-round.html>
Albertus Magnus must have had some notion of gravity: in De Animalibus he gives three reasons why the earth is spherical: observational, based on the angle of Polaris at different latitudes, philosophical, because a sphere is the most perfect solid, and deducing that since meteorites everywhere fall toward the center, an object made up of them would remain spherical.
blogs.bl.uk