[LMB] Books discussed at the Tea Party (not so OT here)

Matthew George matt.msg at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 19:14:54 BST 2021

On Fri, Sep 17, 2021 at 2:10 PM Sylvia McIvers <sylviamcivers at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Spoilers ahead, for those of you who are holding The Last Book in reserve
>
>  Granny is gone, someone must inherit her cottage & her job. And the best
> woman for the job is... a man?

No, no, no.  The best person for the job is Tiffany.  The best person for
the cottage is, eventually, a man.

If you're going to write a series in which rigid gender roles are
abandoned, you're going to have examples of men taking up strictly 'female'
roles sooner or later.  I am reminded of Taran objecting that dishwashing
was women's work and being gently rebuked by Coll.  Not having examples of
this indicates a failure to think things through - much like the ongoing
gag about dwarves adopting 'feminine' dress styles and not realizing that
either the problem with discovering a dwarf's sex remains, or it's only
biological females who are interested in culturally-female dress styles.
But, neither Pratchett nor his fans are perfect.

>  A man in a girl's job gets the most prestigious post around,
> filling Granny's shoes.

No, just her cottage.  Because Tiffany decided that she needed her own
place in a different region in order to best be the Head Witch and take
care of her hometown; commuting between Granny's cottage and the Chalk was
too much, and no one could be expected to care for both areas
simultaneously.

Matt G.