[LMB] OT: Sources

David McMillan skyefire at skyefire.org
Fri Sep 24 00:26:25 BST 2021

On 9/23/2021 4:19 AM, tidsel via Lois-Bujold wrote:
> he historical videos I learned that the Poles were not the complete pushovers to the Germans in WWII that a lot of textbooks would lead us to believe. They destroyed about 25% of the tanks the Germans deployed against them.

     Similarly, I learned from a YT video sponsored by the makers of an
online video game about WWII tanks and ships that the Maginot Line was
/not/ in fact the joke that it is usually meme'd as[1].  Rather, it was
what it was for very concrete reasons, and in fact did what it was
supposed to -- the Wehrmacht never broke through it.  Unfortunately,
Belgium provided less of a "speed bump" than the French interwar
strategic planning had assumed.  And even then, the Germans got lucky --
there were several times where the French nearly managed to stop their
advance.