[LMB] OT: Sources

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Fri Sep 24 17:15:26 BST 2021

On Sep 23, 2021, at 6:16 AM, Ruchira Mathur <wetair at gmail.com> wrote:
> Wolfram alpha is a good app. I used to study calculus. It would solve the
> question and also explain the steps. Better then the answers booklet that
> you had to buy extra!

Marina:
I used a Wolfram (but not a Wolfram & Hart) product to type up equations for papers submitted on paper (professors and scientists are also bad at following instructions) and from incompatible software programs (1989) for a proceedings volume I was bringing to publication specs.

Even for someone whose math skills were considerably below the level of those equations, it was easy enough to do—and I managed to spot an error because it didn’t fit the pattern I’d come to recognize.

The prof blamed it on a student, but the student was not the primary author—whose job included checking the equations before submitting for publication. Ha!

> On Thu, Sep 23, 2021, 8:56 AM Elizabeth Holden <alzurite at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Tidsel (agreeing with William) said:
>>
>>> Source criticism is an essential concept that people generally have not
>> been introduced to,
>>> unfortunately. It is very much needed, these days.

Marina: so true!

>>> Yes, you can get lost in interesting stuff on the net :-))

Maarina
Atlas- and GastroObscura, and then following links in Wikipedia articles.

>> I love learning new things. I have made a game with myself to learn a new
>> thing every day. Sometimes it's trivia and sometimes it's a bigger thing
>> that is really interesting. Over the last week that includes the
>> archaeological finding of the tomb at Amphipolis, and the epic Georgian
>> poem "The Knight of the Tiger Skin" - a 12th century work i hadn't even
>> known about. The world is full of wonders.

Marina:
Yesterday I learned
•about the woman who discovered the method for the production of an antihaemophilic factor: Judith Graham Pool from Stanford University in 1964, and it was approved for commercial use in 1971 in the United States under the name Cryoprecipitated AHF. Her photo was not in the Wikipedia article on hemophilia, nor was she nominated for a Nobel prize. Grr.

•Most hemophilia (A and B) is carried through the mother, and many if Victoria’s offspring carried it. Hemophilia C, found primarily in Semitic peoples, can be transmitted through both men and women, and is mentioned, not by that name, in the Talmud, regarding circumcision. I couldn’t follow all the medical terminology without visiting lots of links, but I do read a lot of material of a medical nature.

I wanted to know if hemophilia was tied to rheumatoid arthritis, since they have many of the same symptoms & effects. I’ve been reading Sayers’ Have His Carcase. British insularity and pervasive racism was rife!

•“Mr Thomas may abandon his dress-suit and Mr Snowden renounce Free Trade”.

I learned who these men were, aside from members of the government starting about 1924–the year both my beau-père & mother were born.

• I learnt about Mother Seigel’s Syrup, a parent medicine for GI issues, as well as what “all of a doo-dah” means in the US—and that the Pasadena Doo-Dah parade is no longer tied to the timing of the Rose Bowl parade, but held in the summer, but not what “the snail’s ankles” means. Is it different from the “bee’s knees” (not the cocktail)?

I was up at 5:30, having not slept after finishing Have His Carcase, and thinking about needing a hat, and possibly the autumn wreath to decorate it, that I couldn’t get to because Kurt’s stuff was blocking the stack. So I went to the closet, shut the door and moved all my stuff to the inside wall where the hatbox stack was, and moved and organized his clothing to the outside wall’s rack, and shifting stuff on the floor as well. Took about 45 sweaty minutes.

He suggested it might be a hypomania, but I think it was more likely OCD triggered by a need to get to my stuff. Anyway, a Fit of Neatness came upon me. My hypomanias are brief, lasting no more than a day—less if I realize I’m in one, but the depressions last months, even with mood stabilizers. The FoN ones come maybe once a year, usually triggered by something that’s been bugging me but not done.

A. Marina Fournier
saffronrose at me.com
Valley of Heart’s Delight. CA
Sent from iFionnghuala