[LMB] Sorry, Cordelia! Here, have a real steak.

Damien Sullivan phoenix at mindstalk.net
Sun Sep 26 03:18:43 BST 2021

On Sat, Sep 25, 2021 at 01:01:42PM +0000, Karen A. Wyle wrote:
>  I glanced at this article, though I didn't read it thoroughly or
>  completely. I noticed that it seemed at least partly concerned with
>  the idea of replacing meat entirely for environmental reasons, rather

Almost entirely concerned with environmental reasons, yes.

>  than offering an affordable option at the grocery store. Did it
>  demonstrate that the latter is and will remain impractical?  Karen A.

It depends what you mean by 'affordable'.  "Competitive with
traditional" meat, yes unlikely.  Even a favorable and optimistic
industry report basically concedes they can't compete.  "People can pay
several times current prices to feel good" might happen.  An Israeli
company, Future Meat, says they can culture chicken for only $18/pound
(that's *production* cost, so retail probably $30+), but see no room for
improvement.

Well, and that number is lower than the ones I see in press-releases,
$7.50 for a quarter-pound of chicken, so $30/lb.  And that's blended
with "some" plant proteins.  And no actual products on the market yet.

So basically you could pay more to know your meat came from 'happy'
animals, or pay even more to know your meat didn't come from an animal
at all.

>     On Saturday, September 25, 2021, 07:44:57 AM EDT, Pat Mathews <mathews55 at msn.com> wrote:
>
>  https://thecounter.org/lab-grown-cultivated-meat-cost-at-scale/

Long article, but worth reading.

Feeding the cells is hard, getting them to not wallow in their own waste
is hard, keeping them sterile of contaminants is hard, getting them to
not depend on serum from slaughtered cow fetuses is hard, building
enough and big enough bioreactors for food markets ishard.  Culturing
animal cells is basically what many vaccine companies do, so there's
already a lot of experience in just how hard the problems are.

-xx- Damien X-)