[LMB] OT: Gender Roles

tidsel egern at protonmail.com
Sun Sep 26 09:51:24 BST 2021

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐

On Saturday, September 25th, 2021 at 9:46 PM, Matija Grabnar via Lois-Bujold <lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk> wrote:

> Other than gestation and breastfeeding, there is no profession that
>
> either sex couldn't do, if they put their mind to it.

Adding to that: Putting their mind to it is the problem, in the sense of getting the chance to do so.

In so many places there are preconceived ideas about what men and women do.
School children, including girls, think scientists are men, nurses are women and so on, even in this day and age. It often does not occur
to the kids to change it, nor do the schools generally try to break the patterns. As a result, a lot of talent is lost, both ways.

This is before we get to the problems you describe, of getting the education, then the job, then surviving in the job.
You really would not think this was the 21th century.