[LMB] Sorry, Cordelia! Here, have a real steak.

WalterStuartBushell proto at panix.com
Sun Sep 26 12:26:03 BST 2021

> On Sep 25, 2021, at 10:20 PM, Damien Sullivan <phoenix at mindstalk.net> wrote:
>
> It's very easy to imagine such a time.  Harder when you know more about
> the details.
>
> The article quotes a CEO who thinks it'll happen in a century but freely
> admits it's "very uncertain" whether it'll happen in 30 years.
>
> This sounds like the self-driving flying car of food.
>
> -xx- Damien X-)
> --

Or like fusion energy in the late 50s —early 60s it was 20 years away. The quest for fusion
has done a lot to increase our knowledge of plasma physics, but not I think moved us
closer to the goal. Several times proponents have claimed breakthroughs but upon further
review the breakthrough has shown new obstacles.

The reaction most proposed releases most of its energy as fast neutrons which is a very
difficult source to harness. Fast neutrons causes damage to any materials they can reach
and induce radioactivity in them.

Non net power generating fusion can be done by kitchen chemistry but its not scaleable.
—
“Of all the means to insure happiness throughout the whole life, by far the most important is the acquisition of friends.”
~Epicurus