[LMB] Sorry, Cordelia! Here, have a real steak

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Sun Sep 26 19:38:44 BST 2021

On Sun, 26 Sep 2021 12:56:34 +0100, "James M. BRYANT G4CLF"
<james at jbryant.eu> wrote:

>When I was a graduate apprentice in an avionics
>company in the mid-1960s gyroscopes for navigation
>occupied a 12cm (5") cube, weighed 500-1000 grams,
>had a lifetime of a year or so, and cost ~£1000
>each (£16,000/$22,000 2021 values).
>
>Today there are several in every cellphone and they
>are the size of a big pinhead, weigh a few milligrams,
>cost under a dollar and do not wear out. There was a
>mass market if they could be made small enough and
>cheap enough, so they were.
>
>I doubt that in the medium term affordable vat meat*
>is a greater technical problem than precision
>gyroscopes, and it will certainly be less of a drain
>on agricultural resources to make it.

I understood them to be *accelerometers* rather than gyroscopes, though
with smart software you can do the same job.

Out of interest, are the almost-free ones anything like as accurate, or
are they just "good enough" for the purpose?
--
People who have tried it, tell me that a clear conscience makes you
very happy and contented; but a full stomach does the business quite