[LMB] Sorry, Cordelia! Here, have a real steak.

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Sun Sep 26 19:46:42 BST 2021

On Sun, 26 Sep 2021 00:23:18 -0500, Raymond Collins <rcrcoll6 at gmail.com>
wrote:

>It's possible lab grown meat would be a popular alternative for space
>stations where raising beef would be impossible and the price of shipping
>steaks up from Earth gravity prohibitively expensive.
>
>On Sat, Sep 25, 2021, 9:18 PM Damien Sullivan <phoenix at mindstalk.net> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Sep 25, 2021 at 01:01:42PM +0000, Karen A. Wyle wrote:
>> >  I glanced at this article, though I didn't read it thoroughly or
>> >  completely. I noticed that it seemed at least partly concerned with
>> >  the idea of replacing meat entirely for environmental reasons, rather
>>
>> Almost entirely concerned with environmental reasons, yes.
>>
>> >  than offering an affordable option at the grocery store. Did it
>> >  demonstrate that the latter is and will remain impractical?  Karen A.
>>
>> It depends what you mean by 'affordable'.  "Competitive with
>> traditional" meat, yes unlikely.  Even a favorable and optimistic
>> industry report basically concedes they can't compete.  "People can pay
>> several times current prices to feel good" might happen.  An Israeli
>> company, Future Meat, says they can culture chicken for only $18/pound
>> (that's *production* cost, so retail probably $30+), but see no room for
>> improvement.
>>
>> Well, and that number is lower than the ones I see in press-releases,
>> $7.50 for a quarter-pound of chicken, so $30/lb.  And that's blended
>> with "some" plant proteins.  And no actual products on the market yet.
>>
>> So basically you could pay more to know your meat came from 'happy'
>> animals, or pay even more to know your meat didn't come from an animal
>> at all.
>>
>> >     On Saturday, September 25, 2021, 07:44:57 AM EDT, Pat Mathews <
>> mathews55 at msn.com> wrote:
>> >
>> >  https://thecounter.org/lab-grown-cultivated-meat-cost-at-scale/
>>
>> Long article, but worth reading.
>>
>> Feeding the cells is hard, getting them to not wallow in their own waste
>> is hard, keeping them sterile of contaminants is hard, getting them to
>> not depend on serum from slaughtered cow fetuses is hard, building
>> enough and big enough bioreactors for food markets ishard.  Culturing
>> animal cells is basically what many vaccine companies do, so there's
>> already a lot of experience in just how hard the problems are.
>>
>> -xx- Damien X-)
>> --

Whenever I hear even experts say that something can't happen, I recall
Ernest Rutherford, the man who split the atom:

"The energy produced by the breaking down of the atom is a very poor
kind of thing. Anyone who expects a source of power from transformation
of these atoms is talking moonshine. … We hope in the next few years to
get some idea of what these atoms are, how they are made, and the way
they are worked."

--
People who have tried it, tell me that a clear conscience makes you
very happy and contented; but a full stomach does the business quite