[LMB] Sorry, Cordelia! Here, have a real steak.

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Sun Sep 26 19:48:27 BST 2021

On Sat, 25 Sep 2021 22:20:25 -0400, Damien Sullivan
<phoenix at mindstalk.net> wrote:

>On Sat, Sep 25, 2021 at 08:10:28PM -0600, brazee wrote:
>> >
>> > Thing is, you'd be willing to pay far more for a new organ than you
>> > would for a steak.  And you'd need far less of them.  $1000/lb for a new
>> > heart is a pretty good deal.  $1000/lb for chicken heart meat is a
>> > terrible deal.
>>
>> It’s very easy to force a time when vat grown meat is cheaper than animal grown meat.   Automation can make a big difference.    The big question is *when* we the break-even point will be.
>
>It's very easy to imagine such a time.  Harder when you know more about
>the details.
>
>The article quotes a CEO who thinks it'll happen in a century but freely
>admits it's "very uncertain" whether it'll happen in 30 years.
>
>This sounds like the self-driving flying car of food.

The man who split the atom said we'd not realise power released from it
inside a thousand years.

12 years before Hiroshima.
--
People who have tried it, tell me that a clear conscience makes you
very happy and contented; but a full stomach does the business quite