[LMB] OT: Gender Roles

pouncer at aol.com pouncer at aol.com
Sun Sep 26 21:04:19 BST 2021

Matija Grabnar
>The truth is that there are bigger differences >between people than the difference of the >averages of the sexes.
That's true, but individual differences affectall sorts of things.
>Other than gestation and breastfeeding, there >is no profession that either sex couldn't do, >if they put their mind to it.
Would that be true if the language changed?  Ifwe were to propose that there is no JOB that either sex couldn't do, if they put theirBACKS to it?
It seems to me in the old style usage a professionrepresented sort of a gentlemanly (excuse the useof old-fashioned, gendered, language) activity,done sitting down, often indoors, with relativelysmall tools or devices, requiring thoughtful contemplation. Ditto lady-like occupations orwhat Darcy might refer to as "accomplishments." Hewing wood, drawing water, busting sod, maintaining steady cooking temperatures over a wood fired hearth or spending every spare minute with a drop spindle were jobs rather than professions. Jobs, then andnow, tend to match themselves to workers by thesheer physical size and strength and power necessary to lift mass in a gravity field at speed for sustainedperiods. A healthy individual human person approachingtwo meters tall and of 100 kilos mass has earning options unavailable to a similarly healthy individual of a half-meter less height and proportionately less reach and lift and mass. And however unfairly and inequitably nature has distributed height and massin extraordinarily close correlation with "Y" chromosomes.