[LMB] Sorry, Cordelia! Here, have a real steak.

WalterStuartBushell proto at panix.com
Mon Sep 27 06:02:53 BST 2021

> On Sep 26, 2021, at 2:46 PM, Marc Wilson <marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk> wrote:
>
> "The energy produced by the breaking down of the atom is a very poor
> kind of thing. Anyone who expects a source of power from transformation
> of these atoms is talking moonshine. … We hope in the next few years to
> get some idea of what these atoms are, how they are made, and the way
> they are worked.”

He did no such thing; atoms were splitting long before he was born.

Someone remarked he was always riding the wave (of physics research).

He quipped, “I made the wave. didn’t I?”, and he did.

His most famous experiment showed that atoms were mostly empty space,
(Later this would result in a better picture.)  That the electrons in orbit around
the nucleus should have by classical physics should have resulted in the collapse
of the atom by the electrons radiating their energy as radiation. Only quantum
mechanics saved the day.

This shows the importance of being Earnest.<sick!>

There were giants on the Earth in those days. And laboring perhaps in obscurity, may
be not to be recognized for years or even years after their death. Like the Impressionists
in the visual arts not to be recognized for 30 years or Rembrandt who could have painted
conventionally and regain his fame an reputation but could not betray his new vision.

These and many others throughout history intensify my love of humanity.

 Blessed are the cheesemakers, for they lead the whey.—Allan Richardson