[LMB] OT: Gender Roles

tidsel egern at protonmail.com
Mon Sep 27 11:16:13 BST 2021

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐

On Sunday, September 26th, 2021 at 10:04 PM, Pouncer via Lois-Bujold <lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk> wrote:

> It seems to me in the old style usage a professionrepresented sort of a gentlemanly (excuse the useof old-fashioned, gendered, language) activity,done sitting down, often indoors, with relativelysmall tools or devices, requiring thoughtful contemplation. Ditto lady-like occupations orwhat Darcy might refer to as "accomplishments." Hewing wood, drawing water, busting sod, maintaining steady cooking temperatures over a wood fired hearth or spending every spare minute with a drop spindle were jobs rather than professions. Jobs, then andnow, tend to match themselves to workers by thesheer physical size and strength and power necessary to lift mass in a gravity field at speed for sustainedperiods. A healthy individual human person approachingtwo meters tall and of 100 kilos mass has earning options unavailable to a similarly healthy individual of a half-meter less height and proportionately less reach and lift and mass. And however unfairly and inequitably nature has distributed height and massin extraordinarily close correlation with "Y" chromosomes.

I can't help thinking of when I worked in a nursery. Lifting babies up and down amounted to about 500 kilos a day. I am quite small, BTW. When I visited a kibbutz in Israel, the men usually had the machine jobs, for picking apples and the like. The women worked in the kitchen lifting enormous pots and pans (food for the whole kibbutz) or in the laundry, lifting big baskets of wet clothes. As a kid, when I visited relatives in the country, I and my sisters were put to work with the boys lifting and stacking hay bales.

Reality is a bit more nuanced than that.