[LMB] OT: Gender Roles

Louann Miller domelouann at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 16:26:02 BST 2021

> A generation or two ago, "boy's can't" included any form of daily food
> shopping & cooking, such that a widower alone* in the house could starve
> because he had no idea how to feed himself.
> [*] alone, ie no housekeeper, helpful neighbors, or siblings.
>
> Sylvia

Which is why during those times, the traditional method for a single woman
'setting her cap for' a widower involved first pitching in and then taking
over cooking and cleaning activities for him. If it were an actual job, I
would use the phrase temp-to-perm. When my dad (Korean war veteran) became
a widower in the 1990s, he instead got a part time housekeeper and started
making the rounds of local restaurants for his dinners. He did become a
favorite with the various restaurant staffs, so I guess that helped his
level of social interaction too.