[LMB] OT: Gender Roles

Peter Hews Peterhews at protonmail.com
Mon Sep 27 20:03:25 BST 2021

On Monday, September 27th, 2021 at 20:40, Louann Miller <domelouann at gmail.com> wrote:

> When older (male) computer programmers gather, pretty much all of them have
>
> a story about being refused space in a typing class because That's For
>
> Women Headed For Secretarial Jobs.

Which brings me back to the observation about jobs being given to women when they become low status.  A few centuries ago, a Secretary (a title derived from "secret," i.e. with access to confidential information) was a very highly placed official (as still shown in titles like "Secretary of State") and, of course, a man.

Peter Hews