[LMB] OT: Gender Roles

Matija Grabnar lmb at matija.com
Mon Sep 27 22:22:14 BST 2021

On 27/09/2021 20:55, brazee wrote:
> On Sep 27, 2021, at 1:24 PM, Matija Grabnar via Lois-Bujold
> <lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk> wrote:
>>> On "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" long ago, two characters were trying to
>>> think of jobs that only men could do.  They came up with two: sperm donor
>>> and female impersonator.
>> I understand Dolly Parton once entered a Dolly Parton look-alike contest,  and lost to a man.
>>
>> https://www.womansworld.com/posts/entertainment/dolly-parton-lookalike-164680 <https://www.womansworld.com/posts/entertainment/dolly-parton-lookalike-164680>
> She wouldn’t have worked hard to be more Dolly than Dolly.
>
> I expect there are women who play female impersonators.

Reading the account in the story I linked, it appears she was in it to
have fun, not to show the contestants up and win.

I have quite a bit of respect for her. One of my favorite stories about
her is about the time when a journalist asked her if she ever minded the
blond jokes people always tell. "I don't" she said, "because I know I'm
not dumb. And I also know I'm not a blonde".

> I’m remembering a scene from “A Brother’s Price”, where the young man pretends to be a woman prostitute with a fake phallus in her pants.

I don't remember that one, but I remember "Victor, Victoria" where Julie
Andrews plays a woman who is pretending to be Europe's leading female
impersonator. What I didn't learn until recently, was that Victor,
Victoria was a remake of a German movie from 1933. For once, the remake
was better.