[LMB] OT: Gender Roles

Richard G. Molpus rgmolpus at flash.net
Mon Sep 27 23:06:30 BST 2021

 One of my ancestors rode half across the county to propose to a widower. His pitch was "I've got land, you've got kids; together we've got a working farm.".
It worked.

    On Monday, September 27, 2021, 04:23:09 PM CDT, Matija Grabnar via Lois-Bujold <lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk> wrote:

On 27/09/2021 16:26, Louann Miller wrote:
>> A generation or two ago, "boy's can't" included any form of daily food
>> shopping & cooking, such that a widower alone* in the house could starve
>> because he had no idea how to feed himself.
>> [*] alone, ie no housekeeper, helpful neighbors, or siblings.
>>
>> Sylvia
>>
> Which is why during those times, the traditional method for a single woman
> 'setting her cap for' a widower involved first pitching in and then taking
> over cooking and cleaning activities for him.
And just think of how many other options you have to close off for women
before "marrying a widower" becomes an attractive way of
surviving/making a living.
Lois-Bujold mailing list message sent to rgmolpus at flash.net
Lois-Bujold at lists.herald.co.uk