[LMB] OT: Gender Roles

Damien Sullivan phoenix at mindstalk.net
Tue Sep 28 04:31:51 BST 2021

On Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 12:10:38PM +0000, Bujold list wrote:

> I recall an anthropologist saying that over the world and across time, there is no job that hasn't been "men's work" somewhere and "women's work" somewhere/when else.  The only constant is that "men's work" is always more highly valued than "women's work."

That said, there are strong patterns.  Across many societies, rearing
young children, daily cooking, spinning, and domestic chores tend to be
women's work; hunting (and I think cooking) big game tends to be men's
work.

Explanation may be economic more than biological, economic in the
concept of comparative advantage.  If Pat has a 5% advantage in doing X,
and Sandy has a 5% advantage in doing Y, it can easily make sense for
Pat and Sandy to specialize in doing entirely X and Y respectively and
trading -- they'll be a bit better off than if each tries doing even
amounts of X and Y, and that's *before* the large effect of getting
better at something you specialize in.

I recently read of Korean villages where women were the pearl divers,
for reasons they believed to be biological advantage, thus breadwinners,
and thus a rare case of men being the stay at home sex taking care of
the kids.

-xx- Damien X-)