[LMB] Sorry, Cordelia! Here, have a real steak.

Damien Sullivan phoenix at mindstalk.net
Tue Sep 28 04:44:40 BST 2021

On Sun, Sep 26, 2021 at 07:46:42PM +0100, Marc Wilson wrote:

> Whenever I hear even experts say that something can't happen, I recall
> Ernest Rutherford, the man who split the atom:

Fission was discovered in Dec 1938.  Four years later was Fermi's
Chicago pile.  Less than three years after that was the A-bomb.
Commercial fission power was being sold by the 1950s.

The first lab fusion was in 1932.  90 years later, we still can't even
get out more energy than we put in[1], let alone have commercially
competitive fusion power.

[1] Except via hydrogen bombs.

-xx- Damien X-)