[LMB] Sorry, Cordelia! Here, have a real steak

Damien Sullivan phoenix at mindstalk.net
Tue Sep 28 05:14:20 BST 2021

On Sun, Sep 26, 2021 at 03:32:52PM -0400, Greg Hennessy wrote:
> What article are you referring to?

As Jason said, the article that started this whole thread.
https://thecounter.org/lab-grown-cultivated-meat-cost-at-scale/

I'd quibble with him a bit: I'm not sure cultured meat is *harder* than
growing vaccines (in animal cells).  It's about the same.  But
commercial cultured meat has to happen on a scale many orders of
magnitude greater and *that's* the hard bit.

You need pharma-grade equipment because otherwise your meat incubator
gets invaded by bacteria and you have at best cultured rotten meat, if
not bacterial slurry.  Viruses are likely a risk too.

-xx- Damien X-)