[LMB] OT: Gender Roles

WalterStuartBushell proto at panix.com
Tue Sep 28 12:32:16 BST 2021

> On Sep 27, 2021, at 11:40 PM, WILLIAM A WENRICH <wawenri at msn.com> wrote:
>
> I remember a MASH episode in which a male surgical nurse was drafted and spent his tour as an orderly. Female nurses were all officers.
> This was an episode. The army didn’t have male nurse officers until 1955.
>
> William A Wenrich

I am a result of the policy of making women nurses officers, as are many others.

It was said to be that high ranking officers could not take orders from enlisted people,
so nurses had to be officers.

That’s how my mother and father met. If she would have been enlisted they could not
have fraternized, but as it was marriages between regular officers and nurses were not
uncommon.

My first exposure to this explanation was in the novel _South Pacific_.

—
Of course our planet has its mood swings – it is, after all, bipolar.